City of Gray Business Licences

Occupational Tax

Every business located within the City of Gray must apply, each year, for an occupational tax certificate. The fee for the certificate is based on the number of employees. Every business must renew their license each year. Occupational certificates expire on December 31 of each year. The occupational tax shall be payable to the City of Gray on January 1 of each year. A penalty of 10% of the tax due will be applied for all occupational taxes unpaid for 90 days after the due date.

Any person engaged in a profession or business required to be licensed by the State of Georgia under Title 43, must provide evidence of such licensure before an occupational tax certificate can be issued by a local government. A list of these business types can be found under General Documents on the main page.

A Certificate of Occupancy (CO) may be necessary if your business is new, changing names, changing ownership or moving to a new location within the City limits. This certificate is required before you may legally occupy your building, obtain your occupational certificate, and conduct business operations. The Certificate of Occupancy is obtained from the Jones County Planning & Zoning Office located in the Jones County Government Center at 166 Industrial Blvd., Gray, GA 31032. For more information on the Certificate of Occupancy, please contact the Planning & Zoning Office at (478) 986-5117.

The occupational tax application form is located under General Documents on the main page.

Alcohol License

Businesses that sell and serve beer, wine, distilled spirits and/or alcoholic beverages are required to obtain a City of Gray alcohol license. Businesses that file for a new alcohol license must pay the required fee and only the City Council may grant approval of the alcohol license at a public meeting. Alcohol licenses must be renewed each year. The licenses expire on December 31 of each year. Alcohol licenses are for a specific location and owner and cannot be reassigned or transferred.

The City of Gray does require background checks each year on alcohol license applications including renewals. The City also requires fingerprint cards to be kept on file for all applicants. Any new applicants must provide fingerprint cards. Background checks and fingerprinting can be done at the Jones County Sheriff's Department.

A copy of the Ordinance pertaining to Alcohol licensing including requirements and provisions can be found under Resolutions and Ordinances on the main page.

A copy of the alcohol license application form is located under General Documents on the main page.